Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Trying to deal with it...


I was diagnosed with leukemia, and I'd like a place to write about it without linking it to my normal journal.It's just not something I don't want everyone freaking out over, and I don't plan to tell most of my friends unless things get really bad and it becomes necessary, but few people knew about my situation,I prefer to deal things myself, because I usually end up being the one caring for everyone else and helping them deal emotionally, and I just don't need that right now, All I want is practical advice on how to cure my illness.
To sum things up, I got some sort of viral infection a couple months ago, and my doctor ran a bunch of tests. My gums were swollen & bleeding, and I had a very high fever, then a low fever for over a week, and aches and muscle pain, but I tested negative for flu & mono. She figured it was just some sort of bad viral infection, butdid bloodwork just in case. It came back with a really high white blood cell count & also an elevated platelet countand to discuss some things in my medical history, and she told me that several things could cause it, but she needed to run more tests, and one of the things that might be causing it is leukemia, a form of cancer that affects my blood.
We talked about symptoms and things, and several of them sounded like me, so I had kind of accepted that I might have it, and started doing some research online, before I got the results back.I have family hostory of cancer, different kinds of cancer...But I don't think I've been exposed to benzene or radiation, Symptoms I'd already been showing, but never thought much of, include fatigue & tiredness, getting out of breath easily, weakness, a recurring low fever, bruising easily, bone/joint pain, and occassional bouts of night sweats.and to a past history of depression [which made me feel tired, achy, and weak].
We went back to my doctor and she told me I tested positive for ALL - Acute lympocytic leukemia. which is a cancer in my blood where my body makes a whole bunch of white blood cells that don't workHonestly, The word "leukemia" is scary as hell, makes me think of those little kids with no hair.but I have to be strong.!I had a "high white cell count" and it was just a blood problem that could be treated with meds.I feel more helpless and annoyed than scared sometimes but I HAVE TO BE STRONG!.. I just don't think about it as if I'm not sick and try to enjoy my life as long as I can...

1 comment:

  1. hello po.... naligaw lang dito sa mundo mo..

    i have one friend, also a lady blogger, who was diagnosed just 2 months ago with same illness like yours...

    basta alang, continue fighting and keep your faith on Him...

    Nice blog!

    ReplyDelete